Question: What Should You Do If Someone Falsely Accuses You Of A Sex Crime In Wisconsin?

Answer: If somebody falsely accuses you of a sex crime, the first thing you should do is deny it and the second thing you should do is contact an attorney before you say anything else. That is critical. And it’s critical because it’s easy to think that if somebody has falsely accused you, all you have to do is say, “I didn’t do it,” and tell the police that and they’re going to say, “Oh, we’re sorry.” That is like living in a fantasy land. As a practical matter, anything you say can be used against you, including things that don’t appear to hurt you.

So it’s best to consult with an attorney who has had a lot of experience in the course of investigation of these kinds of crimes before you go any further. The one thing juries always expect to hear is that when somebody was falsely accused, they immediately responded with an adamant denial. And so, unlike most attorneys, I would say the first thing you should say if you’re falsely accused is, “That’s a lie!” And then you go get yourself a good lawyer to prove it.